Saturday, May 22, 2010

Lomography

As I was cleaning up my cabinets the other day, I stumbled upon a lot of old stuff from the 70's and 80's, such includes a lot of my old photo albums. It felt surreal looking at old photographs of me and my brother strolling along the streets of Intramuros in our tight shorts and kiddy chuck taylors. The smell of old paper felt a bit nice though, bringing me back to the good old "Voltes V" years.

Being into digital photography, I find it a lot easier to take photographs of random subjects as compared to capturing them on film. Back then, there wasn't any post processing involved, you never get the sharpness, the color saturation and the correct exposure you desire. However, there are things that still pull me back to capturing subjects on film. As a fellow photographer once said, digital photos lack soul, expression and drama...everything is fabricated and touched-up. Film photography on the other hand has an essence of melancholy, a story of everyday life, a piece of subject captured with passion, a photograph with SOUL. With every bit of black corners and imperfections, photos captured on film are somehow brilliant, astounding and timeless.

This is why I entered the realm of Lomography. It somehow separates me from my digital comfort zone. It blows me away and gives me individuality. It brings me back to my roots...it brings me HOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment